This position has been filled, thank you!
Pittsburgh Youth Concert Orchestra (PYCO)
To ensure that Pittsburgh Youth Concert Orchestra rehearsals, events, and administration run smoothly and effectively.
Operations Manager and Artistic Director
- The Orchestra Manager is a part-time position with the Pittsburgh Youth Concert Orchestra (PYCO) involving at least 6 hours on Sundays (12:30 pm to 6:30 pm), plus 9 additional hours on average per week.
- Salary will be $15/hour with potential growth over time.
- Attendance at rehearsals, concerts, summer camps, events, staff meetings, and board meetings is required.
- PYCO rehearsals and concerts usually occur on Sundays from September through April. Some chamber concerts take place on Saturdays. Rehearsals take place at the PYCO School of Music in Wexford, while concert venues vary.
- Office work hours are usually Mondays, Tuesdays, and/or Thursdays from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm year-round, with some flexibility. Weekly staff meetings and most work will be conducted in the PYCO office facilities at the PYCO School of Music, while some work can be done from home.
- The PYCO Orchestra and Wind Ensemble Summer Camp usually takes place during the last week of June at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church in Allison Park.
- Position to start immediately.
The Orchestra Manager is an essential part of the PYCO administrative team, who helps ensure that the operation of the organization runs smoothly. Working with the Artistic Director, Operations Manager, and the artistic staff members, the Orchestra Manager will assist in the day-to-day operations of PYCO as well as concerts and events. This position provides ample opportunity to implement ideas and add creativity to PYCO’s successful and dynamic youth music education and performance program.
- Maintains and organizes all music needed for rehearsals and performances, including the orchestra library.
- Books the rental of concert and event venues.
- Coordinates and participates in set-up and tear-down of rehearsals and concerts, involving medium lifting and moving of chairs, music stands, instruments, equipment, etc.
- Sees to the needs of the artistic staff during rehearsals and concerts.
- Communicates regularly and in a timely manner with families and staff via email, phone, and in person.
- Maintains a strong presence with PYCO students, parents, and staff.
- Contacts and hires professional musicians for rehearsals and concerts as needed.
- Coordinates, plans, and works with parent volunteer groups.
- Helps manage the PYCO Orchestra and Wind Ensemble Summer Camp.
- Assists with student recruitment, retention, and record keeping.
- Helps maintain the PYCO website.
- Assists with public relations, marketing, and social media.
- Supports Operations Manager as needed.
- Outgoing and proactive
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Comfortable interacting with students, parents, and staff on a regular basis
- Comfortable working both independently and in a team setting
- Creative problem solver
- Willingness to learn
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google software products
- Proficient knowledge of social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Music and/or arts administration background is a plus
- Child Abuse History, Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check, and FBI Federal Criminal History Background Check clearances will be required for employment.
Rehearsal and Office Location: PYCO School of Music, 150 Lake Drive, Suite 103, Wexford, PA 15090
Please send résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.